The Finnish Act on Residential Leases 18§ regulates the tenant’s right to release their apartment temporarily for someone else. According to the act, the tenant is allowed to release their whole apartment to another person for the maximum of two years, if the tenant stays in another municipality for reasons related to work, studies, sickness or other reasons, and the lessor has no reason to oppose this.
DAS requires that the apartments are subleased fully only to those people who study fulltime. The tenant must inform the lessor about subleasing at least one month beforehand with a form that can be found on the tenant pages.
DAS approves the sublease only if the tenant can prove their reason for their absence in another municipality, if the apartment is subleased to a student and only for the duration of the tenant’s absence.
Remember that as the main tenant you are still in charge of fulfilling the responsibilities that consider the tenant (paying the rent) and damages that have been caused by the subtenant.
Subrenting in the summer / summer tenant
DAS approves subleasing for summer tenants as well. Between 1.5. and 31.8. the subtenant does not have to be a student.
Do as follows:
1. Make a written, fixed-term agreement with the subtenant
2. Agree on the due date of the rent for example for the 2nd of each month
3. Take a deposit before handing over the keys
4. Give the keys of your apartment only personally to the subtenant. Do not use intermediaries.
5. Remember to agree on returning the keys.
6. Inform DAS on the sublease with the electronic form that’s on the tenant pages
- as the main tenant you are still in charge of the rent payments and the condition of the apartment
- A shared apartment cannot be subleased to the person of the opposite sex. A studio or a room in a shared apartment cannot be subleased to more than one person at a time.
- We recommend you to visit Rovaniemi at least once in the summer time to see how the subtenant is doing or ask someone to do it for you.
Application for an subleasing